The renovation and restoration of the historic townhouses provides Thomas Edison State College with state-of-the-art facilities to fulfill its mission as New Jersey’s premier distance learning college for adult education.
The entire project involves 50,000 square feet of college facilities, including the renovation and adaptive reuse of 20,000 square feet of historic townhouse interiors and the construction of a 30,000 square foot addition. Both the renovated town houses and the new addition were designed to be linked to the college’s original home, the 40,000 square foot Kelsey Building, designed by renowned architect Cass Gilbert. The design gives the college a barrier-free "urban campus" right in the heart of the capitol’s historic cultural complex.
Historic townhouse facades are restored to circa 1913. The three-story addition’s exterior relates in scale, style, and massing to the historic townhouses.