DF Gibson is providing A/E services for the modernization of the US Department of Labor's South Bronx Job Corps Center. The Center is a historically significant building registered with the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission and requiring SHPO approval. It was designed by Charles Brigham in the Jacobeathan Revival style complete with towers, turrets and dormers with Flemish gables. It was originally constructed in 1905 as the Messiah Home for Children.
The DOL acquired it in 1978 and renovated it for the Job Corps program.
This renovation is the first major comprehensive modernization of the building since 1978. The scope of work includes replacing the roof, windows and doors, repairing and cleaning of masonry, replacing major HVAC systems and interior renovations to the bathrooms and selected walls and ceilings.